One of Caroline’s favourite soups
3 large broccoli heads with stalks and florets separated
1 small leek chopped (use all of it)
1 litre vegetable stock (eg marigold or kallo)
extra virgin oil
pinch of smoked paprika
large handful of leafy greens (eg spinach or kale)
1 tsp grated ginger
200 mls plant milk
spring onion green tops and leftover peas
- Cut the broccoli stalks and florets into 5 cm pieces.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil then drop in the broccoli stems, florets and leek.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the veg from the water but keep the water to add to the stock (which preserves the nutrients).
- Make up the stock water to one litre and add the stock powder/cube and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Put cooked broccoli and leek in a blender with a splash of olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Add the warm veg stock, leafy greens and ginger, blend until smooth and creamy.
- Slowly add the milk on a low speed.
- Serve topped with spring onion tops and leftover peas, and wholemeal bread.