If you are new to this page, or want to get an update on our latest activites then please go to Welcome to Waste.
One of the best ways to avoid waste is to mend things that are broken, so we are starting up Repair Cafes in the area, our third will be on 25th June in Swainby Village Hall 10am – 12pm – find all the details here. Basically bring along things that need fixing and the volunteer repairers will work with you to repair them.
Since autumn 2020 we have been meeting over Zoom to update each other on our progress on reducing waste, where we can lobby government to tackle climate change more effectively and what else we should be doing – our latest update is here.
Waste – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
The Climate Action Stokesley and Villages group held their first themed evening on 19th November 2019. Tracey Flint, Hambleton District Council’s recycling officer explained what happens to the waste in Hambleton and what plans there are for helping people to reduce waste.
Questions and answers
The Climate Action Stokesley and Villages group are promoting ways to reduce, reuse and recycle in the local area.
Reduce waste through, for example: identifying shops that will allow customers to take their own containers to be filled and promoting water bottle refilling.
Find out more about the new plastic free shop in Stokesley by watching the video Mike Newton, a group member, put together.
Sharing through, for example:
- does somebody you know already have it? See if they would be happy for you to borrow it. You are both then going a bit further for our planet.
- CASaV is building a virtual Share Shed, we know some people who are willing to lend some of their things – have a look at what’s there – CASaV Share Shed and click to request a loan.
Reuse through, for example:
- sharing ideas for re-using materials
- calling for the reinstatement of an area at the local recycling centre for items that can be repaired /reused
Repair through, for example:
- identifying businesses or individuals who undertake repairs and maintenance of household items
- take your things to a repair cafe – https://repaircafe.org/en/
- watch this space for CASaV repair cafe details
Recycle through, for example:
- publishing details of how and what to compost
- highlighting where different items can be recycled
- encouraging local councils to use recycled products
- supporting recycling at events such as Stokesley Show
If you are interested in litter picking in the Great Ayton area then the Parish Council has equipment that can be borrowed which makes the job easier. Contact us for more details.